An astonishing 200 cases of norovirus have been reported in northwest OH, and county health officials now believe that it started at a doughnut shop in that area.
The health department said it had been alerted to reports of several customers who had gotten sick after eating doughnuts from Mama C's between August 4 and August 7. The illnesses have been tracked to people who ate at the shop between Friday and Monday.
The outbreak began late last week and all the cases that developed symptoms of the gastrointestinal virus had eaten food from the shop between August 4 and Tuesday, according to health officials. "The health department has been in contact with the professional cleaning company that Mama C's is using to ensure the food establishment is properly cleaned", the statement says. It isn't expected to reopen Thursday.
Symptoms of Norovirus include diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headaches, body aches and a mild fever. However, it can lead to severe dehydration and serious, sometimes life-threatening illnesses in the elderly or people with suppressed immune systems, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Walkup said she wouldn't hold it against Mama C's if she or her children get sick.
Eaton Vance Municipal Bond Fund (EIM) Declares Monthly Dividend of $0.05
Eaton Vance Tax-Managed Diversified Equity Income Fund (the Fund) is a diversified, closed-end management investment company. Shares of Eaton Vance Ltd Duration Income Fund ( EVV ) traded up 0.14% during mid-day trading on Friday, reaching $13.87.
"I was a little surprised, and kind of scared because we had just gone to eat donuts there the day before the news came out that the virus had hit".
A local restaurant is closed amid reports of customers getting sick.
Calls to Mama C's Donuts and Coffee were not returned Thursday. She said, "We feel sorry about it".
Health Commissioner Eric Zgodzinski said the place is "pretty much spotless" and owners have cooperated with investigators throughout the process. We feel so, so sorry for everything that happened.
The health department said Norovirus is common this time of year, and those affected should refrain from handling and working with food for at least three days after their symptoms go away. Norovirus is typically spread through contaminated food and water, touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus and then putting your hand or fingers in your mouth and close contact with someone who is vomiting or has diarrhea.