Champs-Elysees: Suspected attacker drives into police vehicle in shopping district

Share

The "radicalised" attacker, 31, who has been pictured being stripped naked by bomb squad officers, "was known to the police", said an investigating source.

Authorities say they believe the crash was an intentional attack, and the vehicle driven by the assailant may have been packed with explosives.

The incident came just two months after a policeman was shot and killed on the world-renowned avenue, three days before the first round of France's presidential election. France's anti-terrorism prosecutor has opened an investigation. Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said that the man is "most probably" dead.

Mr Collomb said he will present a bill on Wednesday at a cabinet meeting to extend the state of emergency from July 15, its current expiration date, until November 1.

But both agreed, as the mother said, "unfortunately we now are used to this".

The bomb squad arrived at the scene and an explosives-detecting robot has been pictured inspecting the attacker's dead body.

Police and judicial sources said they suspect the incident was a deliberate act.

High court sides with drugmaker in Plavix lawsuit
Alito said there was no personal jurisdiction over the nonresidents' claims because they didn't suffer any harm in the state. Superior Court of California. "I fear the consequences of the court's decision today will be substantial", she wrote.

Police had earlier warned people to avoid the neighborhood, one of the French capital's most popular with tourists.

The French national gendarmerie service said no-one was hurt in the incident.

It is unclear why the attacker, who has been arrested, drove into the police. The officials weren't authorized to be publicly named.

The announcement on a police Twitter account advised the public to avoid the area, and came after people took to social media to report that a vehicle had caught fire in the area.

A man could be seen lying on his stomach on the ground immediately after the incident, wearing a white shirt and dark shorts.

The police department tweeted the warning Monday without providing further details. Bomb squads are combing the area and the nearest subway station is closed to the public.

The Minister said the security threat to France remained "at its highest level" and that he would be ensuring that the State of Emergency "remains in place permanently for the foreseeable future".

Share