Seven US soldiers wounded by Afghan soldier


The attack, claimed by the Taliban, began around 6:30 a.m. (0200 GMT) when one bomber detonated a vehicle packed with explosives at the gate of the police headquarters in Gardez city, capital of Paktia province, said Najib Danish, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry.

"One of the attackers detonated his explosives close to the parking area so as to open the way for the others".

A Taliban suicide bomb and gun attack on a police hedquarters in eastern Afghanistan killed at least five officers and injured 18 people, authorities said. Gen. Dawlat Waziri, spokesman for the Afghan Defense Ministry, also confirmed the attack.

Officials at the northern base tell Jennifer Glasse, who reported from Kabul for our Newscast unit, that the shooter was killed. But it is not clear whether the Afghan killed was also the attacker.

On June 11 the insurgents claimed responsibility for a similar attack in which an Afghan soldier killed three United States soldiers and wounded a fourth in the eastern province of Nangarhar.

Saturday's incident is the second insider attack in just one week.

Vehicle strikes several pedestrians on London road
Several people were reportedly injured in London after a van hit a crowd in Finsbury Park. Locals massing at barriers, angry at police, people confused about what has happened.

In a statement, the Taliban greeted a "patriot soldier who carried out an attack, killing and wounding six American soldiers" without specifying whether this assailant, a member of the armed forces, came from their ranks.

Insurgent groups like the Taliban and Islamic State have launched a string of attacks across Afghanistan in recent weeks.

At least one Afghan soldier was killed and several American soldiers were wounded in an incident at a base in northern Afghanistan on Saturday, a USA military official said.

It took Afghan security forces most of the day to kill the last gunmen, who had barricaded themselves in a kitchen in the compound, according to police.

The spokesman for the Taliban, Zabihullah Mujahid, claimed responsibility for the attack in a communique.