New Jersey girl, 11, dies after being electrocuted while swimming

Share

An 11-year-old girl who was playing in a lagoon with friends was electrocuted, police said Sunday.

- A New Jersey girl is dead - apparently electrocuted, but investigators are still looking into details.

Two of the girls touched a metal rail and an electric current appeared to have energized the equipment causing the injury, police said.

Theresa May offers support package for London fire victims
But the identification of the victims appears to be proving very hard , which experts attribute to the extreme heat of the fire. Cundy added that it will take weeks or longer to recover and identify all the dead in the housing block that was devastated.

The adults on the scene administered CPR before first responders arrived and used an Automated External Defibrillator. Police were called to the house on the unit block of Tobago Avenue at 8:12 p.m. Saturday for the report of a possible electrocution of a girl.

The girl, a Newark resident, was visiting friends there. She was transported to Community Medical Center in Toms River, where she died later in the evening, police said. The two other children were not injured.

The girls were wearing life jackets and in the presence of adults when the accident occurred, police said.

Share