58 missing and presumed dead in London apartment fire

Share

The death toll in the fire that engulfed a 24-storey tower in west London rose to 30 yesterday amid fears that it could climb to over 100 in one of the worst fire tragedies in the country.

London Fire Brigade requested that parts of the Circle and Hammersmith and City line be closed.

United Kingdom government must work quickly on an inquiry and consider tearing down similar tower blocks, says London mayor.

A resident in a nearby building watches smoke rise from a building on fire in London, Wednesday, June 14, 2017.

The 91-year-old monarch said that Britain remains "resolute in the face of adversity" after the horrendous fire and recent extremist attacks in London and Manchester.

The Government's £5 million emergency fund is already being spent on clothing and food to help the dispossessed and NHS London will provide counselling and bereavement support to families.

Cundy said the images and video of the scenes inside the Grenfell Tower would be released on Sunday, adding "We will not do that until we have contacted all the families we are supporting to let them know that's our intention".

He said that feeling of being ignored is a source of much "deep frustration", and told how people have been left feeling "that decisions are taken about their lives and their homes that they are not party to". The reason for that - at one point, in terms of our casualty bureau, there were 400 people who were reported missing from Grenfell Tower.

Trade Minister Greg Hands and Treasury chief Philip Hammond said in separate TV appearances that the cladding used on Grenfell seems to be prohibited by British regulations.

Stage set for wide open run at US Open title
The cut came at 1 over, which tied the record for lowest cut in tournament history, in relation to par, also established in 1990. Justin Thomas (-11): Thomas' 59 from earlier in the year showed he can go low, but Saturday's round didn't feel like a one-off.

Cundy said police had now managed to get to the top of the tower and had undertaken a first visual search for victims, ahead of later painstaking searches.

Fire safety experts believe that cladding put on the building's exterior during a renovation a year ago was less fire retardant, which may have fueled the blaze.

"We're all desperately sad", said Green, who was appointed May's deputy in the wake of the general election.

The government must work "urgently" to compile a list of properties similar to the 24-story West London apartment block that burned down Wednesday night, and publish the information with the "maximum amount of transparency", Khan wrote in an opinion piece for the Observer. Public fury over the London high-rise fire is mounting as exhausted London firefighters continue their grim search Saturday for victims of the inferno that killed at least 30 people. Residents want answers on why the fire spread so quickly, trapping numerous estimated 600 residents. More than three million pounds ($3.8m) have been raised for the affected families.

Cundy said police will investigate the tower's refurbishment project, which experts believe may have left the building more vulnerable to a catastrophic blaze. This year, however, it is very hard to escape a very sombre national mood.

"So a public inquiry allows things to happen more quickly and allows a broader range of questions and inquests come usually at the end of the exercise".

Numerous displaced are living in churches and community centers.

Between 50 and 60 people stormed Kensington and Chelsea Town Hall as members of the public demanded the council, which owned the tower blocks, to give reassurances to the victims.

Share